Practical Earthing, Bonding, Lightning and Surge Protection - Live online course
25th Anniversary Promotion
We are celebrating 25 years in the training industry, having helped over 500,000 engineers, technicians and technologists advance their careers.
To celebrate we are giving you a massive 25% discount on IDC’s Live Online Courses, Classroom Workshops, Video Courses and Technical Manuals booked before 31st December 2016.
Just use coupon code IDCAN25 at checkout to receive your discount
Few topics generate as much controversy and argument as that of earthing and the associated topics of surge protection, shielding and lightning of electrical and electronic systems. Poor earthing practice can be the cause of continual and intermittent difficult-to-diagnose problems in a facility. This course looks at these issues from a fresh yet practical perspective and enables you to reduce expensive down time on your plant and equipment to a minimum by correct application of these principles.
This course is designed to demystify the subject of earthing and presents the subject in a clear, straightforward manner. Installation, testing and inspection procedures for industrial and commercial power systems will be examined in detail. Essentially this course is broken down into earthing, shielding and surge protection for both power and electronics systems. Earthing and surge protection for telecommunications and IT systems are examined in detail. Finally, the impact of lightning is examined and simple techniques for minimising its impact described.
- Four 60 minute live, practical sessions with your instructor and attendees
- Four hours of additional in-depth video sessions covering many additional areas – yours to keep and watch any time you want
- The full technical eBook manual for “Practical Earthing, Bonding, Lightning and Surge Protection” which includes course slides, cases studies, calculations and practical exercises
- Certificate of Attendance for your continuous professional development records
WHAT TIME WILL THE COURSE COMMENCE?
To help with the time differences you can choose from 2 sessions to select the time which best suits you.
- Session 1 4am GMT
- Session 2 6pm GMT
You can convert the times above into your local time zone here.
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Apply good earthing practice to your next installation
- Detail the applicable national standards
- Troubleshoot and fix earthing and surge problems
- Design, install and test an effective earthing system for electronic equipment
WHO SHOULD COMPLETE THIS COURSE?
- Building service designers
- Consulting engineers
- Data systems planners and managers
- Electrical and instrumentation technicians
- Electrical contractors
- Electrical engineers
- Electrical inspectors
- Instrumentation and control engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Power system protection and control engineers
- Project engineers
- Safety professionals
Why choose a Live Online Course with IDC Technologies
No need to travel - Attend online from any location
Practical & Interactive training
Highly experienced instructors
Quality & Informative content
IDC Technologies have been providing quality engineering training around the world for over 25 years.
No formal electrical education is required as everything is examined from a fundamentals and practical point of view. As such, this is certainly not an advanced course but one focusing on the fundamentals using basic maths to ensure you quickly understand the key concepts.
This is an intensive four (4) hour presentation; we will be emphasising sections marked in BOLD below. Full recordings will be provided for the lower intensity sessions (another four hours of video as detailed below) to review after the course.
- Basics of earthing
- Lightning and surge protection
- Static charges
- UPS systems and their earthing practice
EARTHING OF POWER SYSTEM NEUTRAL
- Unearthed and solidly earthed systems
- Impedance earther systems
- Resonant impedance earth systems
- Shock hazards to the human body
- Earthing of equipment
- Operation of protective devices
- Thermal capacity of earthing wires
- Touch potential
- Induced voltages
- Multiple earthing connections
- Surge protection earthing
LIGHTNING AND ITS EFFECT ON BUILDINGS AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
- The incidence and probability of lightning strike
- Methods of lightning protection
- Planning for lightning protection
- Improvements to lightning protection
- Effects of lightning strike on overhead lines
- To protect or not to protect
STATIC ELECTRICITY AND PROTECTION
- What is static?
- Generation of charge
- Common examples
- Energy of a spark
- Ignition capability of a spark
- Dangers of static buildup
- Control of static
- Assessment of risks and planning
EARTH ELECTRODE SYSTEMS
- Earthing electrodes
- Soil resistance
- Measuring soil resistivity
- Resistance of single rod electrodes
- Current carrying capacity of an electrode
- Measurement electrode resistance single and multiple rods
- Concrete encased electrodes
- Corrosion of electrode systems
SURGE PROTECTION OF ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
- What is a surge?
- Bonding of different earthing systems
- Surges and surge protection
- Principles of surge protection
- Achieving graded surge protection
ELECTRICAL NOISE AND MITIGATION
- Definitions of electric noise
- Analysis and categories of noise
- Electrostatic coupling
- Electromagnetic coupling
- Shielded isolation transformer
- Insulated earth receptacle
- Zero signal reference grid
UPS SYSTEMS AND THEIR EARTHING PRACTICES
If you cannot make the Live Online Course, you can purchase a recording of the course through IDC Video: On-Demand video courses to watch online at a time that suits you..
CLICK HERE for more information.