Functional Safety (IEC61508/61511) for the Process Industries
Previsouly titled "Practical Safety Instrumentation and Emergency Shutdown Systems for Process Industries"
For project managers and engineers involved with hazardous processes, this workshop focuses on the management, planning and execution of protection systems in accordance with IEC 61508/61511, the international standards for process industry safety instrumented systems.
This IDC workshop is structured into two major parts to ensure that both managers and engineering staff are trained in the fundamentals of safety system practices. The first part of the workshop, approximately the first third, provides an overview of the critical issues involved in managing and implementing safety systems.
The subjects covered in the overview portion of the workshop include:
- Risk management principles as applied to protection systems.
- The legal framework such as major accident hazard regulations and control of substances hazardous to health.
- An overview of standards IEC 61508/61511
- An introduction to the safety life cycle as defined by the standards.
- Process hazard analysis and its link to protection systems.
- The meaning of SILs and their cost implications.
- The problems and rewards of SIL determination
- Basics of safety instrumentation.
- Economics and cost of ownership
- Competency requirements and conformity assessment programmes.
- Conclusion: What should management be doing towards compliance?
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Receive a certificate of attendance in support of your continuing professional commitment
- All workshops include the associated hardcopy technical manual
- Printed workshop handouts
- Lunch and refreshments
- Interact and network with workshop attendees and experienced instructors
- Practical, industry driven content to assist you in your continuing professional development (CPD)
- Attendees automatically become IDC subscribers and receive exclusive deals and technical content every month
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Control systems engineers
- Chemical or energy process engineers
- Instrument/electrical engineers and technicians
- Instrument suppliers technical staff
- Maintenance supervisors
- Project engineers and project managers
- OVERVIEW OF SAFETY INSTRUMENTED SYSTEMS FOR MANAGERS
- INTRODUCTION TO IEC 61508/61511 AND THE SAFETY LIFECYCLE
- PRINCIPLES OF RISK REDUCTION AND SAFETY ALLOCATION
- PRACTICAL SIL DETERMINATION METHODS
- PRACTICAL SIS CONFIGURATIONS FOR BOTH SAFETY AND AVAILABILITY TARGETS
- PRACTICAL RELIABILITY ANALYSIS METHODS AND PROGRAMS TO IEC 61511
- PRACTICAL SYSTEM INTEGRATION AND APPLICATION SOFTWARE FOR SAFETY CONTROLLERS
- PRACTICAL PROOF TESTING AND DIAGNOSTICS
- PRACTICAL MANAGEMENT APPROACHES
This course is available fully online by our sister organization the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT).