Practical SCADA Systems for Industry
SCADA has traditionally meant a window into the process of a plant or gathering of data from devices in the field, but now the focus is on integrating this process data into the actual business and using it in real time. The emphasis today is on using open standards such as communication protocols (eg DNP3, MODBUS, and TCP/IP) and ‘off-the-shelf’ hardware, such as industrial Ethernet, to keep the costs down. This comprehensive workshop covers the essentials of SCADA systems.
The first half of the workshop gives an introduction to SCADA systems then focuses on the SCADA system hardware and software, including alarm management and Human Management Interface (HMI) issues. This is followed by a review of the RS-232/RS-485 interface standards and the MODBUS and DNP3 protocols.
The second half gives a review of industrial Ethernet, TCP/IP and MODBUS/TCP. The role of Open Process Control (OPC) in plant SCADA systems is also discussed. This is followed by discussion of network security, SCADA historians and troubleshooting issues.
This workshop will be an excellent opportunity to network with your peers as well as gain significant new information and techniques for your next SCADA project.
Although the emphasis of the workshop will be on practical industry topics highlighting recent developments using case studies and the latest application of SCADA technologies, the fundamentals of SCADA systems will be covered. The workshop is aimed at those who want to be updated on the latest developments in SCADA systems and want to get a solid appreciation of the fundamentals of SCADA design, installation and troubleshooting. The comprehensive workshop manual covers other topics for your reference, including Fieldbus systems, maintenance, system specification, installation and commissioning issues. It also includes various case studies and design exercises.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Receive a certificate of attendance in support of your continuing professional commitment
- All workshops include the associated hardcopy technical manual
- Printed workshop handouts
- Lunch and refreshments
- Interact and network with workshop attendees and experienced instructors
- Practical, industry driven content to assist you in your continuing professional development (CPD)
- Attendees automatically become IDC subscribers and receive exclusive deals and technical content every month
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This workshop is designed to benefit engineers and technicians who are involved in specifying, commissioning and debugging industrial SCADA systems but who have little previous experience in this field.
It is also of particular benefit to personnel involved in areas of design, specification, installation, commissioning, maintenance and documentation of industrial control and instrumentation systems where used, this includes:
- Consulting engineers
- Control system application engineers
- Control systems sales engineers
- Design engineers
- Electrical engineers
- Instrumentation and control engineers
- IT personnel
- Maintenance supervisors
- Plant engineers
- Process control engineers
- Project engineers
- Communication architectures
- Communication philosophies
OVERVIEW OF SCADA SYSTEMS
- Hardware alternatives (RTU/PLC etc)
- Communication concentrators
- Communication alternatives
SCADA SYSTEM HARDWARE
- Hardware components
- Operation and selection issues
SCADA SYSTEM SOFTWARE
- SCADA software functions
- Response times
- Redundancy issues
- Specification and configuration issues
SCADA ALARM MANAGEMENT
- Alarm layout and organisation
- Alarm priorities
- Alarm processing and reporting
HUMAN MANAGEMENT INTERFACE (HMI)
- Ergonomic factors
- HMI organisation
- HMI screen design
- RS-232/RS-485 interface standards
- MODBUS protocol
- DNP 3.0 protocol
- Troubleshooting utilities
OPEN PROCESS CONTROL (OPC)
SCADA NETWORK SECURITY
- Security issues
- SCADA firewall configuration
- Archiving plant data
- Data access
- Testing methodology
- Noise issues
- Communications testing
This course is available fully online through IDC Video: On-Demand video courses.
CLICK HERE for more information.